While we would all love to buy and eat organic all the time, with today’s economy it is near impossible for families to eat ONLY organic. These are the top five foods that typically contain the most pesticides. If you cannot buy all organic, these foods should be top priority on the organic shopping list.
The reason for buying organic produce, is that these foods typically go from farm to store. Also, organic farmers use little to no pesticides on their produce, which is better for the health of the consumer. Organic farming also means the farm workers are exposed to less chemicals, and the soil remains natural for future generations. Check out these five foods that surprisingly contain the most pesticides.
5. Spinach is the leader of the leafy green family as far as pesticides go. It contains 50 different chemicals on average. While the frozen variety was not any better off, the canned variety contained less pesticides. However, by purchasing organic spinach, you can still maintain the fresh flavor without compromising safety.
4. Coming in at number four on our list is the peach. Peaches contain at least 60% of known pesticides on average. While canned varieties contain less pesticides, they are still not chemical-free. Since peaches are only in season for a few months, it may be a good idea to buy them organic.
3. Strawberries are our next food that is better if purchased organically. Since strawberries are prone to fungus, they often get sprayed more than other fruits. Also, the spaces which hold the seeds, unfortunately also hold the chemicals from the pesticides.
2. Celery makes number two on the list. A study by the USDA found at least 60% of pesticides on celery. If you are unable to find organic celery, other alternatives include radishes or broccoli.
1. The food that contains the most pesticides is the apple. Apples are often threatened by fungus or insects which prompts farmers to spray them. You can reduce chemicals by peeling the apples, however, this makes them lose valuable nutrition. A study by the USDA shows that apple products such as juice and apple sauce contain the chemicals as well. This makes it a smart idea to buy all apple products organic if possible.